Product code: CXS21
Join us for this discovery day trip to the scenic Mae Ngat valley in the Mae Taeng district. You will have the opportunity to take a morning bike ride, exploring this fertile plain. Observe daily way of life and culture of Northern Thailand’s countryside, including rice farming. Make a stop at the impressive Wat Ban Den Temple. In the afternoon, you can opt for a gentle kayak trip down the Ping river, meandering through the valley. Join us on this great trip suitable for families with children and all adventure lovers alike.
Duration: 8 Hours (approximately)
Departure: Daily from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Cycling discovery of the Mae Taeng valley and kayaking trip down the Ping river.
- Explore the scenic Cholae valley on two wheels, with all year round rice paddies
- Stop at the impressive Wat Ban Den, overlooking the plain
- Thai lunch at a local resort nestled in a tropical garden
- Guided cycling loop in the valley, with all equipment supplied (bikes, helmets)
- Kayaking trip down the Ping river, through scenic landscape (easy sit-on-top kayaks with all gear and instructions provided)
- Learn from your professional Thai guide about local customs, agriculture and rice farming
- Comfortable transportation by air-conditioned vehicle
08:30 Pick-up from your Chiang Mai hotel by your guide. Depart by private vehicle to Mae Taeng district, north of Chiang Mai (one hour’s drive) to reach the starting point, a local restaurant in the valley.
09:45 Get ready for bike fitting and a brief safety talk on riding bikes. Helmets are provided. Set off on two wheels for this discovery. The valley is all flat, so easy to pedal for everyone. Your guide will be on hand to show you the insight of the farmers daily life. We will make a stop at some rice paddies, and get a glimpse of rice cultivation. Stop at a local market as well as the impressive Wat Ban Den Temple.
After the Temple’s visit we cycle back to the starting point, for a succulent Thai food lunch set, in the tropical garden setting. The total loop is 20km (12 miles) and is conducted in two hours.
12:30 Enjoy a delicious Thai set lunch in the garden
13:30 Time for a paddling safety briefing, as well as a demonstration of how to use the kayaks. For participants not comfortable with the kayaking, they can take a paddling test in the small lake, before we hit the river.
Your guide is an expert at paddling and will provide tuition and adequate equipment for a fun and smooth trip.
13:45 We transfer to the nearby Ping river flowing in the valley and our starting point of this kayaking adventure. Embark on the kayaks and paddle down, or simply drift with the current, observing the scenery along the river bank.
The descent will take approximately one hour, depending of river flows, paddling stance and other factors. We can make a stop on the river bank for a great picture opportunity or take a rest.
16:00 We eventually disembark at the ending point, where we can have a drink, and perhaps a refreshing swim in the river. Shower and changing facilities are available and towels are provided.
16:30 Embark in the vehicle and drive back to Chiang Mai city (one hour’s transfer), and get dropped off at your hotel, or airport.
-End of the trip
During high water levels (raining season) or low water levels (dry season), the river descent will be replaced by a paddling trip on the nearby Mae Ngat dam lake, which is adequately beautiful.
The cycling part is easy, as we ride in the flat valley, and the kayaking part can be done by novices also. Participants should be however in good physical condition, as this is a minimum requirement for all our adventure tours.
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation by private air-conditioned vehicle
- All equipment needed during the activities, both cycling and kayaking is provided
- Experienced English speaking guide
- Entrance and visit fees
- Thai set menu lunch with fruit platter. Drinking water is provided during throughout the day
- Beverages at local restaurants
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses