Hike along mountain ranges in the remote Mae Hong Son area on this three day adventure through spectacular scenery. From villages perched on the river to settlements nestled within the hills, encounter Shan and Karen ethnic minorities along the way in this untouched area of Thailand.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights.
Departure: Daily departures from Mae Hong Son; participants need to stay the preceding evening in Mae Hong Son in order to join this tour.
Activities: Trekking, swimming in waterfalls, overnight in a cave and farmhouse.
Fitness Level: This expedition is recommended for physically fit people who don’t mind living in basic conditions for a few days.
- Trek the off-beat mountain ranges of Mae Hong Son with views of Myanmar in the distance
- Rustic overnight stays; one night in a cave, one night in a local farmhouse
- Learn about Shan (Tai Yai) culture, customs and food from your local guide
DAY ONE – Hike through bamboo and rain forest to a cave for overnight in the jungle
08:00am pickup from your accommodation in Mae Hong Son town and 10 minute vehicle transfer to our starting point. Begin with a 10 minute cruise on a long-tail boat across the river. From there, we hike through traditional Shan gardens, continue uphill through the jungle and along the valley until we reach our lunch spot beside a waterfall; also a great opportunity to cool down with a swim. After lunch, we follow a relatively flat trail with bamboo forest and lush jungle either side. Eventually arrive at a cave which will be our shelter for the evening. Here you can assist your guide in cooking a jungle style meal and learn about the many uses of bamboo to create cooking utensils. Enjoy the evening by the campfire listening to the sounds of the jungle.
Please note: this overnight spot has no running water or bathroom facilities, a rugged jungle experience like no other!
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Over a mountain range with views of Myanmar then overnight in local farmhouse
After breakfast, we continue on our adventure departing the cave for an uphill trek over the mountain range; from there we can see mountains in Myanmar and an area of previous conflict (now this area is safe). Hike down the mountain to our lunch spot to refuel and relax. From here, we hike undulating terrain continuing along the valley then through the jungle to another village. Tonight we will sleep in this rustic village in a local farmhouse. Your guide will cook traditional Shan food and you can bathe in the river.
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY THREE – Scenic countryside and mountain top view
Wake up to the village sounds and enjoy a freshly cooked breakfast. Begin today hiking alongside a valley full of rice fields, soy beans, and fruit orchards. We will pass more farmer’s homes along the way. Later in the morning, we enter the jungle and trek along the mountain ridge on undulating terrain. We gradually ascend up the mountain for a spectacular mountain top view. Whilst enjoying the view, we can refuel with a local style lunch in the midst of the jungle prepared by your guide. After the morning uphill climb, we hike down the mountain to a waterfall where we can have a refreshing swim. Continue hiking along a valley to a Red Karen Village with spectacular views of the area. This is the final destination of our adventure; from here we have a 20 minute vehicle transfer back to Mae Hong Son town.
(Meals: B, L)
- Vehicle transfer from Mae Hong Son town
- Experienced English speaking tour guide
- River crossing by long-tail boat
- Two nights accommodation (very basic conditions); please bring your own sleeping bag
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner]
- Accommodation in Mae Hong Son before and after the trip
- Drinking Water (we recommend at least 2L per person, per day; upon arrival at our overnight stop, the guide will boil more drinking water for the following day)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses, meals not mentioned
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
When packing for a trek, keep it simple. The less luggage you have to carry, the more you will enjoy yourself. Wear a good pair of running shoes or lightweight trekking shoes. We recommend to bring a small backpack which should contain following items:
- Sleeping bag
- 1 cotton T-shirt
- 1 pair short or long pants
- 2 pairs of socks
- sandals or flip-flops (for the evening)
- 1 quick dry towel & swimsuit
- toiletries and personal effects
- sunscreen (waterproof), a hat, protective sunglasses
- mosquito repellent
- light rain jacket or windbreaker
- personal prescription drugs, contact lenses, glasses
- a small flashlight (no electricity in the village)
- Camera to capture the memories of your adventure
This list is not exhaustive and additional items should be taken into consideration depending to the season e.g. warm fleece in winter, plastic rain jacket in rainy season.
The first night of this adventure feels like stepping back into prehistoric times when you find shelter in a jungle cave. We create our own sleeping area inside the cave with banana leaves and other jungle resources (please bring your own sleeping bag). Also you will learn from your guide how to survive with bare basics in the jungle, you never know when those skills might come in handy again!
Second night’s accommodation is in a basic bamboo hut with no electricity; here we have a few simple comforts such as outdoor toilet facilities (manual flushing), mosquito nets and blankets. We can wash in the river or take a bucket shower.
From Chiang Mai, it’s possible to reach Mae Hong Son by bus, minivan or flight. If you need assistance with transport, please Contact Us.