Product code: NT102
Enjoy a rich cultural experience through this rewarding two day biking discovery of the Mae Taeng valley. Discover local agriculture, rice plantations, sparkling temples and jungle trails!
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Departure: Daily departure all year long from Chiang Mai City
Activities: Leisurely cycling, Mountain Biking
Fitness Level: Easy cycling on off-road trails and rural roads. Previous cycling experience is recommended to fully enjoy the tour. This tour is suitable for participants in good physical condition.
- Variety of biking trails to interesting places
- Great views of surrounding mountains as you cycle through the valley
- Family friendly eco-tourism activities
- Learn about the traditional way of life in Northern Thailand
DAY ONE – Cycling Discovery in the Mae Taeng Valley
Pickup (8:30am) from your accommodation in Chiang Mai before driving north by air-conditioned vehicle along highway 107 to the beautiful Mae Taeng valley and its surroundings.
Check in and freshen up at Le Cocotier Resort, then get fitted on bikes and get ready to set off for your ride.
In the morning we will cycle a warm-up loop, during which we discover the authentic Northern Thailand countryside, farming and way of life of locals.
Lunch at Le Cocotier.
In the afternoon, you can relax at the resort, before setting off on a late afternoon discovery ride during which we will visit a local market and the impressive Wat Ban Den temple. Ride through fruit orchards and farm land, with many picturesque sights as locals are working in their fields. Discover and learn about rice farming with your guide who will explain the insights about local agriculture in the valley. Depending on the season and participants’ abilities, the cycling loop is approximately 12 km, but can be extended.
Overnight and dinner at Le Cocotier Resort
DAY TWO – Cycling & Lake Trip in the Sri Lanna National Park
After a filling breakfast, we will jump straight on the bikes to enjoy the wake up of the valley.
The length of this morning ride is flexible and will be set according to the participants’ request.
We will end our ride at the lake shore of the nearby Mae Ngat Dam.
The dam is located within the Sri Lanna National Park, surrounded by mountain and forest.
Take a short motorboat trip to the exotic floating raft houses inside the reservoir for a delicious Thai lunch.
Enjoy swimming and relaxing in this stunning lake.
After lunch, take the motorboat back to the shore, and cycle the short way back to Le Cocotier Resort for change and a bit of relaxation.
We depart Le Cocotier Resort for a vehicle transfer to your city hotel or the airport in Chiang Mai.
Our Mountain bikes
We have various frame sizes of 24 gear/front suspension TREK mountain-bikes. We carry size 13 inches frame that can fit people of about 145 cm (around 4’7 feet).
We do have some bikes that are not mountain-bikes, but hybrids that can fit smaller children. We also have a tag-along trailer bike! We have small sizes helmets, and elbow/knees pads if you want. A perfect opportunity and trip for outdoor oriented families.
The Mae Taeng valley
The valley is home to many natural features of lakes, a waterfall and surrounded by mountains.
It is also a fertile plain irrigated by the water of the nearby Mae Ngat Dam, a man made dam, encompassing a wide area, comprising the Sri Lanna National Park.
- Transportation by air-conditioned car or van with seat belts
- Experienced English speaking guide and driver/mechanic
- Accommodation at Le Cocotier
- Quality TREK brand Mountain-Bikes with 24 gears and front suspension (models 3900 and 4300 in different frame size) and cycling helmets
- Water and snacks during the activities
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner]
- Partial vehicle support. As part of our efforts to support eco-tourism, we do not provide a support vehicle following the cyclists on this trip. However, a vehicle is on hand at the Hotel and can be called, in case of need.
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire
Note: This program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending on seasonality and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
What to bring
- Bring adequate cycling gear, such as padded shorts, t-shirts, cycling shoes or runners, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a pair of cycling gloves. We will send a full packing list after tour registration.
- Participants should be reasonably fit and able to cycle 30+ km per day on mostly flat landscape. The usual route is relatively easy for people with cycling experience but we offer more difficult options towards the end of the day; the route is flexible according to the weather and clients abilities.