Product code: CEI09H
A Northern Thailand “soft adventure” departing from Chiang Mai and covering off-beat locations around Chiang Dao, Thaton, Maekok River, Mae Sai, and Chiang Rai. Experience the impressive Chiang Dao mountain; encounter hilltribe villages along some light hiking trails, visit the mystical Golden Triangle, local markets on the Burmese border, and spend a night in Chiang Rai. A comprehensive active sightseeing tour highlighting the best of Northern Thailand.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights
Departure: Upon request from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Sightseeing and easy-hiking tour
- Be awe-inspired by the magnificent White Temple
- Discover Chiang Rai, the gateway to the Golden Triangle
- Experience a Burmese market in Mae Sai bordering Myanmar
- Visit the famous Golden Triangle where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar (Burma) meet and once the hub of opium trade
- Stop at Chiang Saen, once a major city of the Lanna Kingdom and perched on the edge of the mighty Mekong river
DAY ONE – Trek to hill tribe village
Meet at your hotel around 0900am then transfer to Orchid Farm in Mae Rim district where you can admire the different varieties of orchids and butterflies. Proceed further North to the Chiang Dao caves – we can explore this cave complex and Buddhist sanctuary before having lunch at a local restaurant. In the afternoon, we begin a 2-hour hike from a local village where we will continue through the jungle and limestone peaks eventually reaching a Palong hill tribe village. You can admire these people’s traditional ethnic costumes and learn about their village lifestyle. End the afternoon at Padeng Eco Lodge nestled in the heart of Chiang Dao valley; you can relax enjoying the natural setting before being served a succulent Thai dinner.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO: Chiang Dao – Thaton – Mae Chan – Chiang Rai
After breakfast we hike up a mountain for 1 hour to reach a small Karen settlement, if you’re lucky we might encounter villagers taking care of their elephants. Continue hiking to reach another village where our vehicle is waiting for us. After lunch, proceed by car to Chiang Rai, with a stop at Ban Thaton on the Maekok River, where we can visit Wat Thaton Temple (if time allows) with a giant Buddha statue overlooking the valley. Continue along the mountain road to Chiang Rai and transfer to hotel.
(Meals: B, L)
DAY THREE: Mae Sai – Golden Triangle – Chiang Mai
Head north to Mae Sai, Thailand’s northernmost point and an official Thai-Myanmar border crossing. Visit the bustling border market and optionally cross the border and visit the Burmese town of Thachilek (subject to border opening, border pass fees not included). After lunch in Mae Sai, drive to Chiang Saen, a former capital of the Lanna Kingdom. Explore the famous “Golden Triangle”, the point where three borders meet: Thailand, Laos and Myanmar. Visit the interesting Opium Museum(*) and ancient temple on the hill overlooking the Mekong River. Return by road to Chiang Mai, arriving at the end of the afternoon. Transfer to your hotel or airport.
(Meals: B, L)
- Transportation by private vehicle
- Experienced English speaking local guide
- 1 night in a tourist hotel in Chiang Rai town, in twin share room.
- All excursions and visits as mentioned in tour itinerary
- Meals as per itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Transfers from any Chiang Mai city hotel
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Additional excursions/entrance fees as Myanmar border pass, museum entrance fees
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Hotels outside Chiang Mai city subject to additional transfer charge
Note: This program is suitable for families, individuals travelers and private groups and can be also be provided for travellers coming into Thailand from Thackilek town in Myanmar. Please let us know your specific requirements .
(*) A new museum “Hall of Opium” recently opened at the Golden Triangle. There is usually not enough time on this program to visit this museum (unless you skip another activity) for which we recommend setting aside 1 1/2 hours. Entrance fees – not included.