Product code: NT101
Biking Adventure from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai Enjoy this great biking adventure from the hills of Chiang Dao down to the Maekok river. Bike to discover rural villages, ethnic hill tribes, highlights and stunning scenery of Northern Thailand.
Duration: 4 days / 3 nights
Departure: Every Monday from Chiang Mai city (private tours upon request)
Activities: Mountain biking; off-road trails and small country roads; motor boat, cave exploration
Fitness Level: Involves off-road trails as well as easy cycling over the four days; cycling experience and a good level of fitness is recommended
- Professional local cycling guide with in-depth knowledge of Northern Thailand
- Exhilarating off-road rides in the forest and valley
- Experience this wonderful area off-the-beaten track with overnight stops in places of interest
- Visit hill-tribe villages and Buddhist sanctuaries
DAY ONE – Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao
09:00am pick-up from your Chiang Mai accommodation and transfer by van/car to the Chiang Dao valley region (transfer approximately 1.5hours) to reach our activity base, the Padeng Lodge. Enjoy a locally brewed tea or coffee while your guide will help you fit the bikes. The adventure for the day begins with a ride on mostly paved road through picturesque countryside leading to a Karen village where we take a break before riding an off-road section reaching another village before heading back to the lodge for a delicious Thai lunch. After lunch we enjoy more off-roading along a single trail through the forest, followed by tarmac country roads leading to the Chiang Dao caves and Buddhist sanctuary. Explore the main cave. We ride back (or transfer) back to the lodge for overnight. Tonight we’ll enjoy a succulent Thai dinner.
(Meals: L, D) / Cycling distance: 35 to 40km
DAY TWO – Chiang Dao to Ban Thaton
This morning we ride rural road through scenic landscape! The route is not too difficult and the escort vehicle is always near by. Morning distance is nearly 30 km (20 miles). Lunch stop and visit Buddhist forest temple and caves. Afternoon cycling around 25 km (15 miles), paved road, then vehicle transfer to Ban Thaton for overnight. (Additional cycling can be organised as you wish). Thaton is a small village located on the bank of the Maekok river. Spend the night and have a dinner in Thaton.
(Meals: B, L, D) / cycling distance: 45 to 60km
DAY THREE – Ban Thaton to Chiang Rai
After breakfast, we cycle the Maekok river valley passing stunning rice fields and plantations. Cycle some exciting trails winding along the river to reach a small village. Embark a local long-tail boat downriver to reach a forest park. Back on the bikes, and cycle to a Karen village. Continue cycling, or transfer by vehicle to our Chiang-Rai hotel. Evening and dinner free at leisure for you to wander through the town, and eventually explore the night market, or try a reinvigorating Thai traditional massage.
(Meals: B, L) / Cycling distance 45 to 60km
DAY FOUR – Chiang Rai exploring & return to Chiang Mai
Cycling itinerary is flexible today and to some extent will depend on the season. We ride out of the city and follow the river bank to discover exciting new trails. Cycle a loop up the mountain village, and down the other side. Then more trails to reach a waterfall for a local lunch. Relax and shower at the waterfall before an overland transfer back to Chiang Mai (3 hours+) with our vehicle. Stop at the White Temple on the way, when time permit. Arrive around 7pm in Chiang Mai, and drop off at your hotel.
(Meals: B, L) / Cycling distance 25 to 40km cycling
- Private transportation by van or car to and from Chiang Mai
- Experienced English speaking cycling guide
- Accommodation in twin share room
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Quality TREK brand mountain bikes with 27 gears, front suspension and cycling helmets
- Drinking water and snacks throughout the activities
- Meals not mentioned
- Beverages at local shops and restaurants (drinking water provided whilst cycling)
- Tips or gratuities
- Personal expenses and travel insurance
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire (see list)
This program is a sample itinerary and can vary depending the season and other circumstances. We reserve the rights to alter the itinerary according to the local situation.
- We welcome accompanying non-cycling participants to travel in the support vehicle.
- Participants understand this type of adventure travel incurs some risks. We require participants to sign a full liability release before trip departure.
Chiang Dao valley: Basic wooden Thai house with separate rooms. Comfortable bedding, room with fans. Western toilets and hot shower outside the rooms. Nice location, next to a hill tribe village, with scenic views of Doi Luang Chiang Dao. (WiFi available).
Ban Thaton: Tourist class accommodation located in the village or on the Maekok river bank. Private rooms with ensuite bathrooms, hot shower + air-conditioner.
Chiang Rai: You will stay in a tourist class hotel with all facilities. Swimming pool, WiFi.