Product code: CT70
From Chiang Mai, enjoy this trekking trip in two different areas, and experience authentic rural life. A rich cultural and natural experience in the heart of the Mae Taeng valley, just North of Chiang Mai.
This trip features great activities rich in experiences and is suitable for families with teenagers. Scenic jungle and refreshing waterfalls throughout the year.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights.
Departure: Daily from Chiang Mai city, all year round.
Activities: Jungle trekking, great jungle waterfalls, and Thai rural countryside experience. Elephant Park or Conservation Center visit (optional).
- Stay overnight in a local home-stay in the freshness of high altitude, surrounded by Tea plantations and lush jungle.
- A learning experience with your professional Thai trekking guide. Learn about flora & fauna, local customs and culture.
- Trek tropical jungle trails in two different valleys; experience various types of flora, Tea plantations and bamboo forest.
- Option to visit the Elephant Nature Park, an elephant conservation center, whilst in the area, on your way back to Chiang Mai.
- Ideal trip for families, individuals and private groups.
DAY 1 – Trek in Mae Sa valley and overnight at local hotel
At 8:30am your guide will meet you at your hotel in Chiang Mai. Our first destination is the Mae Sa valley where we will start our trek. After a 2 to 2 and 1/2 hour’s jungle trek, we take a lunch at a local restaurant.
After lunch we drive to the Mae Taeng area, with a stop at the local market and drive up the mountain to reach a small waterfall. After a refreshing break, we start our hike in surrounding jungle. The trail is cutting through bamboo forest and mature trees, and at some parts, following the stream. The hike end at a local village where we can find our accommodation for the night.
Your hosts will cook a succulent Thai dinner, to regenerate from this challenging day.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY 2 – Trekking & waterfalls
After a filling breakfast, we hike to a jungle waterfall through evergreen tropical forest. This altitude village boast a different climate than the below valley, allowing the locals to grow organic coffee and tea.
This stunning jungle trail is following the stream and we can spot many birds, and eventually other small mammals coming to drink at the stream. After a fun splash in the waterfall, we hike back to our home-stay via another trail, and appreciate a delicious Thai lunch. In the afternoon, we hike to the local Tea plantation, to taste and get the knowledge of this local culture. The more active participants can trek for another 2 hour’s on a trail leading to the next valley. We eventually get picked-up by our vehicle and transfer to our tonight’s accommodation. Overnight at a local Resort where you will also enjoy a succulent Thai dinner under the stars.
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY 3 – Sticky waterfall trek, or optional activities, and transfer back to Chiang Mai
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel and relax under the shade of coconut trees. When desired, transfer to the nearby “sticky” waterfall, also known as the Buatong Forest Park.
The highlight of the day could well be the Thai style picnic lunch, with sticky rice, papaya salad and fried chicken (vegetarian option also available). Fittest participants can also enjoy a 1 1/2 hour’s guided trek ending at the waterfall.
When ready, drive back to the Resort to collect your luggage, and if needed, a quick shower and change. A local tea is served before we transfer by car to Chiang Mai (1 hour’s drive). Drop off at your hotel, or to the airport.
Or choice to partake in optional activities – as “add on”
- Elephant program at local Elephant Conservation Center or Elephant Park
- Thai cooking class, learn to cook at a local cooking school
- Cycling ride in the scenic valley. A relaxing 20km ride through the surrounding countryside, all flat.
Option “elephant” experience, we recommend the Elephant Nature Park, which is the authentic Thai Elephant Conservation Sanctuary. There is an additional fee for this, including admission fees and transportation.
Due to their popularity, an experience at the Elephant Nature Park must be booked and paid well in advance. Please indicate your preferences in your inquiry and let us know the exact dates of the trip so we can reserve the activity well in advance.
The Thai cooking class (Thai Baht 800.-/person) and the cycling trip (Thai Baht 400.-/person) options can be decided on the second day of the program.
Please do not hesitate to ask us any questions regarding this third day, in regard to the various options.
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up, drop-off and transportation by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Experienced English speaking trekking guide
- First night accommodation at a local home stay in private rooms (share bathrooms)
- Second night at local hotel in twin share room (Le Cocotier Resort, or similar)
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- All visits/excursions as mentioned in tour itinerary.
- Beverages (apart from drinking water which is provided)
- Optional tours: Elephant Park visit or Elephant Nature Park experience; Thai cooking class; or a great cycling ride.
- Tips or gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
Note: the trekking itinerary is for basic guidelines only and subject to change without prior notice; distances and hiking times are approximate. Our tour guide will decide on the specific trails based on the conditions of the day. This trip is also suitable for families with younger children, as long as they are able to do the hiking.
This trip is suitable for families with children and it can be tailor-made when booked as private tour. Various types of accommodation and rooming available, please contact us.
When packing for this overnight trek, keep it simple. Trekkers should wear a good pair of runners or light trekking shoes. We recommend to bring a soft bag/backpack which should contain following items:
- 1 cotton T-shirt (for second day)
- 1 pair short or long pants to wear during the trek
- 1 pairs of socks
- sandals or flip-flops (for the evening)
- 1 quick dry towel & swimsuit
- toiletries and personal effects
- sunglasses and a hat
- mosquito repellent and sunscreen
- Personal prescription drugs, contact lenses, glasses
- a small flashlight is always useful
- Additional items for cold season: fleece or warm jacket, a long pant or a track suit pant. Nights can be cool in the mountains.
- Additional items for raining season: rain jacket or waterproof, and take a dry bag for valuables
We recommend to take a small backpack as a day pack, and the overnight gear can be sent to the village.
This list is not exhaustive and additional items should be taken into consideration depending of the season.
Other Luggage: Main luggage can be taken along and be stored at the Resort during the trekking part.