Product code: NT103
Escape Chiang Mai city and join us in the Chiang Dao valley to experience fascinating landscape and impressive off-road trails. One of the greatest cross country loops in the area, this is a fantastic trip for experienced mountain bikers!
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights.
Departure: From Chiang Mai city every Friday
Activities: Cross-country mountain biking along forest trails and rural roads
Fitness Level: This is a mountain-biking trip and therefore requires a good level of fitness.
- Exhilarating off-road rides in the forest and valley
- Unique Chiang Dao mountain in the background
- Visit hill-tribe villages along the way
- Overnight stays in peaceful locations
DAY ONE – Friday – Explore the valley and hill tribe villages (30 – 40km)
Around 08:15 pick-up from your Chiang Mai accommodation and transfer to the Chiang Dao valley region (vehicle transfer approximately 1.5hours) by covered pick-up truck to reach our activity base – Padeng Lodge. Upon arrival, enjoy locally brewed tea or coffee while the friendly guide fits the bikes. The adventure for the day begins with a ride on mostly paved road through picturesque countryside leading to a Karen village where we take a break before riding an off-road section reaching another village before heading back to the lodge for a delicious Thai lunch. After lunch we enjoy some more off-roading along a single trail through the forest followed by flat, paved country roads leading to the Chiang Dao caves and Buddhist sanctuary which can be explored when time permits. We finish our day at the Palong village and near by Padeng Lodge, to spend the night. Enjoy a succulent Thai dinner served at the lodge.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Saturday – Energetic day off-roading (60 km)
Today is an exhilarating day cycling in the wilderness! More than 40km of today’s cycling route is wide, off-road trails through forest and interesting plantations. With our support vehicle always nearby, we can stop for a picnic lunch in any scenic spot we fancy. We will also explore a small Buddhist temple hidden in the forest and some limestone caves. After an active day, transfer to a hotel made up of wooden huts nestled in the peaceful forest; enjoy dinner then you can relax and have a good night’s sleep!
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY THREE – Sunday – Uphill climb surrounded by forest and limestone peaks (30 – 60 km)
After breakfast, start with a bit of uphill climbing followed by excellent trails surrounded by forest and limestone peak formations. Later, enjoy a mixture of paved road and off-road dirt tracks through different villages and plantations. Final stop is at Chiang Dao Cave where you can briefly explore and relax. End up at the Chiang Dao Caves for a short exploration and relax, before transfer back to your Chiang Mai accommodation.
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation
- Experienced English speaking guide and licensed driver/mechanic
- Accommodation at Padeng Lodge settled in the scenic Chiang Dao valley (basic rooms with western toilet, hot water and fan)
- Support vehicle
- Quality TREK brand Mountain-Bikes with 24 gears and front suspension (models 3900 and 4300 in different frame size) and cycling helmets
- Water and snacks for energy during the activities
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
What to bring
- Bring adequate cycling gear, such as padded shorts, t-shirts, cycling shoes or runners, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a pair of cycling gloves. We will send a full packing list after tour registration.
- Participants should be reasonably fit and be in good physical condition and able to cycle 35 to 60 km per day on rolling hills. This tour is for experienced riders who are able to ride single trails with steep short hills and rutted descents; not suitable for beginners.For beginners, please check the other cycling tours we offer.