Product code: CT401
This adventurous and strenuous expedition will take participants across the Doi Chiang Dao mountain range, down to the Maetang River valley, hiking on well marked trails used regularly by local people from the villages.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights.
Departure: Monday, Wednesday, Friday from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Trekking (strenuous)
Fitness Level: Suitable for experienced trekkers in good fitness condition
- Traverse valleys, walk along ridges and cross streams while experiencing the pure beauty of the Northern jungle.
- Encounter local hill tribe people and get a glimpse of their lifestyle.
- Learn from your professional Thai guide about flora & fauna, local customs and culture.
- Overnight stay in a traditional wooden house with a village family
DAY ONE – Mountain trek and overnight at homestay
Pickup (9:00am) from your accommodation in Chiang Mai before driving north to escape the city and experience the beautiful Chiang Dao area. Along the way we will stop at a local market where your local guide can introduce the ingredients they will use for cooking delicious Thai meals over the next few days. Our next destination is a peaceful valley further north and the start of the trek. After a short briefing, we’ll set off on an hour’s trek and you will have your first close encounter with Northern Thailand’s natural environment. Next we make a lunch stop at a peaceful fruit orchard before continuing our hike, gaining altitude and a noticeable change of flora. We will cross a large tea plantation under the shade of tall mature trees and eventually arrive at a local homestay to spend the night. Your guides will cook a tasty Thai dinner for tonight, then you have the evening to relax and soak up your new surroundings.
Today’s hike is approximately 4 to 5 hours, mostly ascending.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – The longest trekking day
Wake up to the mountain melodies and enjoy breakfast with locally grown tea or coffee from the surrounding plantation. Today you are in for a challenging day through a variety of jungle and criss-crossing trails. We will follow mountain ridges under the jungle canopy, with occasional clearings offering breathtaking panoramic views of the lower valley. Around noon, refuel with a packed lunch in a nice spot along the trail. The afternoon trek will bring more bamboo forest, shade under tall jungle trees and a refreshing river crossing. The last climb for the day will take us to our overnight destination, a tiny Lahu village where you can interact with local people and learn a bit about their way of life. Once again, your guide will prepare Thai cuisine for your dinner while you put your feet up after a long day! Tonight you will be staying in basic accommodation (dormitory house) and be able to get a feel for village life.
Today’s hike is approximately 5 to 6 hours, mountain trails with mix of ascents and descents.
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY THREE – Morning trek, lunch by the river and drive back to Chiang Mai
Enjoy breakfast on the mountain before we start our final leg of the trek. Today is a three-hour descent to the Maetang River valley below where you will notice a change in scenery. Once you arrive at our riverside camp, you can enjoy a succulent Thai lunch in a tranquil setting. Relax at the camp, or take an optional activity before saying goodbye to the Northern jungle and driving back to Chiang Mai where we drop you off at your city accommodation.
Today’s hike is approximately 3 hours, mostly downhill.
(Meals: B, L)
PLEASE NOTE: This program is subject to slight changes, depending on seasonality and other factors.
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation by covered pick-up truck
- Experienced English speaking trekking guide
- Two nights accommodation in basic village houses equipped with sleeping bags, foam mats, mosquito nets and outside toilet facilities
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Drinking water and snacks for energy during the activities
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
Note: this trekking itinerary is a basic guideline only and subject to change; distances and hiking time are approximate. The tour guide will decide on the specific route they will take based on the conditions of the day. All trekking areas are supervised by Tourism Authority of Thailand.
When packing for a trek, keep it simple. The less luggage you have to carry, the more you will enjoy yourself. Wear a good pair of running shoes or lightweight trekking shoes. We recommend to bring a small backpack which should contain following items:
- 2 cotton T-shirts
- 1 pair short or long pants
- 2 pairs of socks
- sandals or flip-flops (for the evening)
- 1 quick dry towel & swimsuit
- toiletries and personal effects
- sunscreen (waterproof), a hat, protective sunglasses
- mosquito repellent
- Personal prescription drugs, contact lenses, glasses
- light rain jacket or windbreaker
- a small flashlight is always useful
- Don’t forget your camera!
This list is not exhaustive and additional items should be taken into consideration depending to the season e.g. warm fleece in winter, plastic rain jacket in rainy season.
This three-day hike can be strenuous, therefore suitable for people in good physical condition! Expect to walk 6 hours during the second day of the program, and 3 to 4 hours on first and last day through mountainous landscape in a hot and humid climate.
Simple accommodation: participants must be aware that there are no western-style toilets and no hot showers. Washing is a private room and sleeping is on wood or bamboo floor (dormitory style). We provide sleeping bags, mats and mosquito nets