Product code: TR001
Enjoy the Northern Thailand wilderness over two active days. First, you will follow our expert trekking guide through hiking trails used only by locals and next day you will find yourself paddling down the Maetang River through a series of exciting rapids. Separate the adventures with a rustic (or comfortable) overnight stay atop of the mountain, surrounded by tea and coffee plantations; an experience not to be forgotten!
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Departure: Daily departures from Chiang Mai city (during rafting season)
Activities: Jungle hiking, overnight homestay experience, white water rafting
Fitness Level: Suitable for participants in good fitness condition; swimming competency is essential
Season: Tours operate from 15 June until end of 31 January annually (subject to water levels)
Family suitability: possible with children over 12 years old with good swimming abilities
- Trek through the jungle and altitude plantations
- Overnight at rustic home stay (basic comfort)
- English speaking local trekking and rafting guides
- Riding the rapids of Maetang River through forest and villages
DAY ONE – Mountain trek and overnight
Pickup around 9:00am from your accommodation in Chiang Mai before driving north to escape the city and experience the beautiful Chiang Dao district. Along the way we will stop at a local market where your guide can introduce the ingredients used in Thai cuisine. Our next destination is a peaceful valley further north and our trek starting point. After a short briefing, we’ll set off on our hike where you will have your first close encounter with Northern Thailand’s natural environment. Make a lunch stop at a peaceful fruit orchard before continuing our hike, gaining altitude and a noticeable change of flora. We will cross a large tea plantation under the shade of tall mature trees and eventually arrive at a homestay to spend the night. Your guide will cook a tasty Thai dinner for you to enjoy; you have the evening to relax and soak up your new surroundings. Today’s hike is mostly ascending and we trek approximately 4 hours in total.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Rafting the Maetang River
Enjoy fresh tea and coffee with your breakfast as you listen to the surrounding jungle waking up. Take your time relaxing in the homestay’s surroundings before taking a vehicle transfer to the Maetang River where you will meet your professional rafting instructors. Following a safety briefing and demonstration, jump on board our covered pick-up truck where we travel a bumpy 10km road until we reach our start point. Here the rafting adventure begins with a descent for the first section, a perfect paddling introduction. This is followed by more intense and thrilling rapids to keep the adrenaline pumping until the the raft arrives back at the Maetang River Camp. Catch your breath and dry off at camp before enjoying a delicious Thai lunch. After this adventure in the wilderness, we transfer you back to Chiang Mai city and drop off at your hotel.
(Meals: B, L)
- All vehicle transfers by covered pick-up truck (songtaew)
- English speaking tour guides
- One night accommodation in homestay dormitory (Basic facilities: foam mattress, mosquito net, outside bathroom block with cold water)
- Meals as per itinerary B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner
- Qualified, English speaking local adventure guides
- All required rafting equipment (e.g. EEC standards life jackets, safety helmet)
- Drinking water during activity
- Beverages at local restaurants, hotels (apart from drinking water which is provided during the activity)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
PLEASE NOTE: We operate the same trip, but with overnight at a local hotel, for a better comfort, or when the homestay is not available. We will inform you at time of booking.
This program is subject to eventual changes, depending on season, availability and other factors.