Product code: CT403
Doi Inthanon National park with its highest peak rising 2,565 metres is located just one hour from Chiang Mai city. During two days of exploration we trek through the jungle, stay in a Karen hill-tribe village and visit main attractions.
Duration: 2 days / 1 night.
Departure: Daily from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Moderate level trekking, visiting natural attractions – perfect tour for nature lovers
Fitness Level: Suitable for participants in ok fitness condition
- Explore the Doi Inthanon National Park (considered the “roof of Thailand”) with its lush jungle, beautiful waterfalls and stunning rice terraces.
- Hike through the National park and stay overnight with a Karen family.
- Comfortable transportation by air-conditioned vehicle with professional driver.
- Learn from your professional Thai guide about flora & fauna, local customs and culture.
- Exclusive small-group tour
DAY ONE – Trek and overnight in hill tribe village
Meeting at your hotel 8:30am with your guide and depart by private vehicle heading South-West to Doi Inthanon National park’s entrance. Enter the National park and drive to the summit. Enjoy a short nature walk on a wooden pathway called the “Angka Trail” with moss-covered trees, wild orchids and various bird species. Continue by vehicle to visit the two impressive pagodas near the summit offering breathtaking views of the valley. Next we head to the park headquarters by vehicle for a yummy Thai lunch. Before our afternoon trek, we visit a Royal Project initiated to help the hill tribes utilise modern agricultural practices. The rest of the afternoon will be spent trekking through the jungle (an easy 2 – 2.5 hours), with its unique flora and many bird species. End the day of activity by chilling out at a refreshing waterfall before spending the night in a Karen village homestay. We will end the trek with a relaxing time at a waterfall and spend the night in a Karen village home stay. Gourmet Thai dinner is prepared by your guide.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Trek, refreshing waterfall, and drive back to Chiang Mai
When served breakfast you can refuel for the day and get the chance to taste locally grown fresh coffee. We will drive to another hill-tribe village, where we trek down the mountain slopes and stunning rice terraces cultivated by Karen villagers (2 – 2.5 hours). Meet with our vehicle and transfer to the stunning Vachiratarn waterfall for a local Thai style picnic lunch. In the afternoon, simply relax or visit a second equally beautiful waterfall (Mae Klang waterfall) located by the Park’s entrance. Transfer back to Chiang Mai where we drop you off back at your hotel in Chiang Mai or directly at the airport.
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Experienced English speaking trekking guide
- 1 night accommodation as per itinerary (basic village home-stay)
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- National Park entrance fees
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Additional excursions
- Hotels outside Chiang Mai city subject to additional transfer charge
Note: this trekking itinerary is a basic guideline only and subject to change; distances and hiking time are approximate. The tour guide will decide on the specific route they will take based on the conditions of the day. All trekking areas are supervised by Tourism Authority of Thailand.
Our Doi Inthanon Mountain Explorer trek program is designed for active people in good physical condition. If booked as a private tour, the hiking can be modified to suit your needs and therefore be suitable for families with younger children.
During this Doi Inthanon Trekking trip, the night is spent at a local villager’s house in a Karen hill-tribe village. With outdoor toilet facilities and no hot showers, conditions are basic yet authentic and a unique experience. Sleeping conditions are very simple but we provide quality sleeping bags (additional warm blankets during the cold season) and mosquito nets all year. All year long, participants should bring warm clothing for the evening time as temperatures can drop.
Doi Inthanon National Park is pleasant to visit all year, as its mild climate makes it cool even during the hot season. Based on the time of year, this trekking trip can be a very different experience!
– Winter/cold season; Very pleasant to hike as the air is cool and fresh with great views of the valley and a different feeling from Chiang Mai or other smaller mountains. During the cold season on the mountain temperatures can drop to 5°C (40° F) or occasionally even lower. The coolest season is from December to February.
– Raining season; The lush nature and blue sky during the raining season makes the area just stunning. It is rarely raining the entire day, as there is more often a tropical downpour followed by sunshine again. Beautiful views and great color contrasts makes this the best season for avid photographers. Trails could be more slippery with mud, but it’s part of the experience and there are higher chances of spotting wildlife. Some of the trails are closed by the Park’s Rangers during the raining season such as Kew Mae Pan trail, but the trekking experience will remain the same.
When packing for a trek, keep it simple. The less luggage you have to carry, the more you will enjoy yourself. Wear a good pair of running shoes or lightweight trekking shoes. We recommend to bring a small backpack which should contain following items:
- 1 cotton T-shirts
- 1 pair short or long pants
- 2 pairs of socks
- sandals or flip-flops (for the evening)
- 1 quick dry towel
- toiletries and personal effects
- sunscreen (waterproof), a hat, protective sunglasses
- mosquito repellent
- Personal prescription drugs, contact lenses, glasses
- light rain jacket or windbreaker
- a small flashlight is always useful
- Don’t forget your camera!
This list is not exhaustive and additional items should be taken into consideration depending to the season e.g. warm fleece in winter, plastic rain jacket in rainy season.
Other Luggage: The home-stay is accessible by vehicle. Participants can bring their main luggage, however we recommend to store it at our office or your hotel in Chiang Mai.