Product code: CXS22
Explore over 650 km of Northern Thailand’s spectacular scenery with stops at the Golden Triangle, the famous White Temple, Thai and hill-tribe villages, and the mighty Mekong river.
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Departure: Upon request from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Sightseeing tour
- Be awe-inspired by the magnificent White Temple
- Discover Chiang Rai, the gateway to the Golden Triangle
- Experience a Burmese market in Mae Sai bordering Myanmar
- Visit the famous Golden Triangle where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar (Burma) meet and once the hub of opium trade
- Stop at Chiang Saen, once a major city of the Lanna Kingdom and perched on the edge of the mighty Mekong river
DAY ONE – White temple, Golden Triangle, Mekong River, Burmese Border Market
Start the trip by meeting your guide at your hotel 8:30am then departing by private vehicle on the road to Chiang Rai. You will drive through Northern Thailand’s scenery for approximately 3 hours with a break at a local coffee shop for lunch. Visit the famous Wat Rong Khun (White Temple), a contemporary Buddhist Temple rebuilt by a self-funded National Artist as an offering to Lord Buddha. Construction of this intricate temple is expected to continue until 2070! Continue with a brief visit of Chiang Rai city before continuing to Chiang Saen and the Golden Triangle; here you will see where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet and the place which was once a major hub for Opium trade. Next we head to Mae Sai on the border of Myanmar where you can experience a burmese market and potentially enter Myanmar (border pass fee not included). After a full day of exploring, we head back to Chiang Rai city to check into our hotel. Dinner and evening activities are at your own leisure.
DAY TWO – Mae Chan, Mae Salong, Mae Kok River, Chiang Dao Caves
We depart our Chiang Rai accommodation and head to Mae Chan continuing along a picturesque road up Mae Salong mountain; we will encounter a Chinese refugee community made up of those who fled China in 1949. We then continue down to Ban Thaton, a little known gem located alongside the scenic Mae Kok River. After taking a short break on the riverbank and visiting the Wat Thaton with it’s giant Buddha statue overlooking the valley, we drive back to Chiang Mai, making our last stop to visit the spectacular limestone caves at Chiang Dao. Transfer back to Chiang Mai where we drop you off at your hotel or directly at the airport.
(Meals: B, L)
- Transportation by private vehicle
- Experienced English speaking local guide
- 1 night in a tourist hotel in Chiang Rai town, in twin share room.
- All excursions and visits as mentioned in tour itinerary
- 3 Meals as per itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch]
- Transfers from any Chiang Mai city hotel
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Additional excursions/entrance fees as Myanmar border pass, museum entrance fees
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Hotels outside Chiang Mai city subject to additional transfer charge
Note: This program is suitable for families, individuals travelers and private groups and can be also be provided for travellers coming into Thailand from Thackilek town in Myanmar. Please let us know your specific requirements in the comments box of your enquiry.
The accommodation provided in this entry level priced tour is a basic tourist category hotel, located in the city center in Chiang Rai. Hotel can be upgraded to a 4 star hotel upon request. Also, a single room supplement is possible if you require private rooms.