Product code: CT70
From Chiang Mai, enjoy this trekking trip discovering small hill tribes villages and authentic rural life. A rich cultural and natural experience in the heart of the Chiang Dao valley and a
must overnight trip for families.
Duration: 2 days / 1 night.
Departure: Daily from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Easy to moderate trekking suitable for families
- Stay overnight in a local lodge surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature with hill-tribe villages closeby.
- Learn from your professional Thai guide about flora & fauna, local customs and culture.
- Trek through jungle and bamboo forest as well as the scenic Chiang Dao valley
- Explore Chiang Dao and a Buddhist Sanctuary
- Ideal trip for families and other groups
DAY ONE – Trek the Chiang Dao Valley and Overnight at Padeng Eco Lodge
At 8:30am your guide will meet you at your hotel in Chiang Mai. Our first destination is a local market where your local guide can introduce the ingredients used for cooking delicious Thai cuisine; you can find many interesting foods to try as well! Continue to a small Lahu village up the mountain where we will start our trek. The hike is mostly downhill and not strenuous. You will discover Thai jungle, progress through bamboo forest and walk along a small refreshing stream. At the end of this hike we meet our driver and transfer by vehicle to our overnight place in the Chiang Dao valley. Enjoy a home-cooked Thai dinner where you can taste the distinctive ingredients found earlier in the day at the market. In the evening at the Lodge you can relax an sit by the campfire, watching the stars.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Buddhist Cave, trek and waterfall
After a filling breakfast, a short drive will bring us to the famous Chiang Dao Caves for some exploration. The caves are part of a Buddhist Sanctuary and various chambers can be discovered, with the help of local guides equipped with gas lamps. Various chambers are scattered with interesting stalagmites and stalactites of different shapes resembling various animals.
Around the caves, you can also browse the local shops displaying various medicinal plants and herbs for sale. We continue by car to reach our trekking starting point, and hike for approximately an hour, to reach a great waterfall. After a refreshing dip in the water, we hike for an hour and half on a jungle trail, leading to a small Thai village atop the mountain, where we have lunch. Afternoon, we can either hike to another waterfall (two hours hike) or we can hike up to a tea plantation. When done, we find our vehicle and drive back to Chiang Mai city and drop off at your hotel in town or Chiang Mai airport (arrival time approximately 17:00)
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up, drop-off and transportation by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Experienced English speaking trekking guide and licensed driver/mechanic
- One night accommodation at Padeng Eco Lodge in twin share room.
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- All visits/excursions as mentioned in tour itinerary.
- Beverages (apart from drinking water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
Notes: this trekking itinerary is a basic guideline and subject to change; distances and hiking times are approximate. Your tour guide will take final decision on the trails chosen, based on the conditions of the dayAll participants should carry a small day pack to carry their personal gear on each day. Overnight pack can be stored in the vehicle whilst trekking. See our packing suggestion below.
This trip is suitable for families with young children and the program can be tailor-made when booked as private tour. At the lodge we can provide activities in the evening for children. For families, we can accommodate your children in the adjacent “bamboo jungle hut” upon prior request.
When packing for a trek, keep it simple. The less luggage you have to carry, the more you will enjoy yourself. Wear a good pair of running shoes or lightweight trekking shoes. We recommend to bring a small overnight containing following items:
- 2 cotton T-shirts
- 1 pair short or long pants
- 2 pairs of socks
- sandals or flip-flops (for the evening)
- 1 quick dry towel & swimsuit
- toiletries and personal effects
- sunscreen (waterproof), a hat, protective sunglasses
- mosquito repellent
- Personal prescription drugs, contact lenses, glasses
- light rain jacket or windbreaker
- a small flashlight is always useful
This list is not exhaustive and additional items should be taken into consideration depending to the season e.g. warm fleece in winter, plastic rain jacket during rainy season.
Other Luggage: Participants can bring their main luggage along, however we recommend to store it in Chiang Mai (your hotel or our office).
The Padeng Eco Lodge in Chiang Dao can accommodate guests in 9 private fan cooled rooms, 6 rooms in a Thai traditional wooden house, and 3 bungalows with western toilet facilities and hot showers.