Product code: CT70
From Chiang Mai, enjoy this trekking trip discovering small hill tribes villages and authentic rural life. A rich cultural and natural experience in the heart of the Chiang Dao valley; perfect two-day trip for families.
Duration: 2 days / 1 night.
Departure: Daily from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Easy trekking suitable for families
- Stay overnight in a local lodge surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature with hill-tribe villages closeby.
- Learn from your professional Thai guide about flora & fauna, local customs and culture.
- Trek through jungle and bamboo forest as well as the scenic Chiang Dao valley
- Explore Chiang Dao and a Buddhist Sanctuary
- Ideal trip for families and other groups
DAY ONE – Trek the Chiang Dao Valley and Overnight at Padeng Eco Lodge
At 8:30am your guide will meet you at your hotel in Chiang Mai. Our first destination is a local market where your local guide can introduce the ingredients used for cooking delicious Thai cuisine; you can find many interesting foods to try as well! Continue to a small Lahu village up the mountain where we will start our trek. The hike is mostly downhill and not strenuous. You will see many jungle trees, progress through bamboo forest and walk along a small refreshing stream. At the end of this hike we meet our driver and transfer by car to our accommodation for the evening in the Chiang Dao valley, the tranquil Padeng Lodge. Enjoy a homecooked Thai dinner where you can taste the distinctive ingredients found earlier in the day at the market. In the evening at the Lodge, you can relax while youngsters can play with wooden games or sit by the campfire.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Trek and Buddhist Cave Exploration
After a filling breakfast, a short drive will bring us to another hill-tribe village, inhabited by Lisu and Akkha people. From there we will follow a trekking trail leading to a Palong hill-tribe village. Eventually stop by the local school before walking back to the lodge. This hike takes approximately two hours, however we can propose a longer option depending on the season and participants abilities. Eat lunch at the lodge before transferring by vehicle to the famous Chiang Dao Caves for a deep exploration. The caves are part of a Buddhist Sanctuary and various chambers can be discovered, with the help of local guides equipped with gas lamps. Various chambers are scattered with interesting stalagmites and stalactites of different shapes resembling various animals. Around the caves, you can also browse the local shops displaying various medicinal plants and herbs for sale. From here, we drive back to Chiang Mai city and drop off at your hotel in town or Chiang Mai airport (arrival time approximately 17:00)
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Experienced English speaking trekking guide and licensed driver/mechanic
- One night accommodation at Padeng Eco Lodge, in twin share room.
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- All visits/excursions as mentioned in tour itinerary.
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
Note: this trekking itinerary is a basic guideline only and subject to change; distances and hiking time are approximate. The tour guide will decide on the specific route they will take based on the conditions of the day. All trekking areas are supervised by Tourism Authority of Thailand.
This trip is suitable for families with young children and it can be tailor-made when booked as private tour. At the lodge we can provide games and activities in the evening for children. For families, we can accommodate your children in the adjacent “bamboo jungle hut” upon prior request.
When packing for a trek, keep it simple. The less luggage you have to carry, the more you will enjoy yourself. Wear a good pair of running shoes or lightweight trekking shoes. We recommend to bring a small backpack which should contain following items:
- 2 cotton T-shirts
- 1 pair short or long pants
- 2 pairs of socks
- sandals or flip-flops (for the evening)
- 1 quick dry towel & swimsuit
- toiletries and personal effects
- sunscreen (waterproof), a hat, protective sunglasses
- mosquito repellent
- Personal prescription drugs, contact lenses, glasses
- light rain jacket or windbreaker
- a small flashlight is always useful
- Don’t forget your camera!
This list is not exhaustive and additional items should be taken into consideration depending to the season e.g. warm fleece in winter, plastic rain jacket in rainy season.
Other Luggage: This trek is based at the Padeng Lodge, which is accessible by vehicle. Participants can bring their main suitcase, however we recommend to store it at our office or your hotel in Chiang Mai. The trip is more enjoyable with less luggage.
The Padeng Eco Lodge in Chiang Dao can accommodate guests in 9 private fan cooled rooms, 6 rooms in a Thai traditional wooden house, and 3 bungalows with western toilet facilities and hot showers.