Trekking and Caving Adventure in the Soppong area
Tour ref: CT526
Duration: 5 days / 4 nights
Departure: Everyday from Chiang Mai with minimum of 2 people
Activity: Overland, trekking in jungle and cave exploration
This great adventure will bring participants to the Pai and Soppong areas, in the heart of Mae Hong Son province on a scenic and sinuous mountain road. A challenging trek and an overnight stay in a hill tribe village are the highlight of the trip. The trek follows remote trails and footpath where not many foreigners venture. You will have also the opportunity to discover the excellent limestone cave system for which this area is famous.
- Pai and Mae Hong Son
- Hiking in beautiful jungle and stay with hill tribe village
- Tham Lod cave system – discover the splendid caverns with a local guide
- Day 1: Drive the scenic mountain road to Pai
- 08.30-9.00 Meeting and pick up at your hotel. Drive the scenic mountain road to Pai valley. Arrive in Pai for lunch at local restaurant. In the afternoon, free at leisure to explore the area on your own. (Option to cycle around by mountain bike). Dinner and overnight in a comfortable resort.
- Day 2: Trek to a Lahu Village
- After breakfast, we depart by vehicle to reach the Soppong area, our trek departure place. We begin our hike to reach a small Lahu village where we stop for lunch. Afternoon we continue to hike 4 hours through the jungle to reach a small Karen village for overnight. Dinner cooked by your guides in the village. Total trek approximately 6 hours. Scenery: lush jungle and bamboo forest. Limestone rock formation.
- Day 3: More trekking, and experience the Tam Lod caves exploration
- After breakfast, we will trek down the valley, crossing the Lang river and eventually reaching the small village of Ban Tham. Lunch at local restaurant. Afternoon we will visit the Tham Lod caves. Explore this unique cave system, said to be one of South-East Asia’s largest. Drive down to Soppong village for overnight and dinner at local bungalow (basic accommodation at guesthouse in Soppong).
- Day 4: Trekking in the jungle and drive to Mae Hong Son
- Drive up the mountain to begin a 3 hours hike through dense bamboo forest to reach a tiny Lisu village. You will have a break and lunch at the village before trekking down the valley to meet our vehicle. Drive on the winding road to Mae Hong Son, making a stop at the “fish cave” (Tham Pla) on our way. Tham Pla is an intersting Buddhist sanctuary under a limestone cliff. Arrive at your hotel for check-in. Overnight in Mae Hong Son and dinner at your own leisure. There is a few good restaurants by the small lake.
- Day 5: Explore the charming small town of Mae Hong Son, and overland back to Chiang Mai
- In the morning, time to explore this charming little town starting by an early market visit with your guide. Then we drive to the Wat Prathat Doi Khong Mou Temple, located on the hill overlooking the town, for a great view point. Walk back to the city where you can take a stroll to the Wat Jongkham, near the charming little lake.
You will have now a long overland trip back to Chiang Mai, on the same mountainous road.
Here are approximate timings:
11:00 Departure overland to Soppong for lunch, then 15:30 arrive in Pai; break 1/2 hour, and depart to Chiang Mai. Arriving in Chiang Mai around 19:00.
- End of the tour-
Option to fly back to Chiang Mai
Option to fly from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai (price is not included).
You will need sufficient advance notice to book this flight with NokAir or Kan Airlines.
Info, schedule and reservation:
Kan Air: http://www.kanairlines.com
And Nok Air: www.nokair.com
Rates per person in Thai Baht. Valid from Now until end of October 2015
|tour CT526||Rate / person||Departure|
|Scheduled Join Tour||17,500||Everyday|
|Private Tour||2 – 4 persons||on request||Every day|
|5 – 6 persons||on request|
|single room supplement||n/a||-|
JOIN DEPARTURE TOUR
Everyday from Chiang Mai, our van depart at 9am, for a transfer to Pai.
- Transportation by private air conditioned car/van
- Experienced English speaking tour guide
- Excursions and visits as mentioned
- Accommodation on day 2 at hill tribe village. (Very basic)
- Accommodation 3 nights in tourist class hotel (possible upgrade to luxury on request)
- Meals as mentioned
- Visit as per program, including entrance fees
- Beverages. Additional meals and personal spending
- Gala Dinner at hotels during festive period
- Guide tips and gratuities
Please make your Tour Inquiry below. Our online reservation officers will get back to you within 24h.