CHIANGDAO TREK – 2 DAYS
Tour ref: CT70
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Departures Every day, all year long
Start/ending place: Chiang-Mai
Activity: Trekking (easy hiking)
From Chiang Mai, experience this easy trekking trip, discovering small hill tribes villages and authentic rural life. A rich cultural experience and active 2 days trip in the heart of the Chiang Dao valley with stunning views of Thailand’s third highest peak.
- Overnight at local lodge near hill tribe villages and close to the nature
- Jungle trek, through various landscape, as valley and bamboo forest
- Visit and explore the Chiang Dao caves
- Elephant Riding and bamboo rafting experience
- DAY 1: TREK THE CHIANGDAO VALLEY AND OVERNIGHT AT LODGE
- 08h30 Your guide will meet you at your hotel in Chiang Mai. Our first destination is the Maetaman valley, and an elephant camp. Here you will have the chance to observe the elephants bathing and demonstrating their skills, during the interesting show. Then we’ll experience a ride on elephant’s back through the surrounding jungle. After lunch at the camp, the next activity is a peaceful bamboo rafting river descent, sitting on a bamboo raft, drafting down the river.
Meet our vehicle and transfer by car (45 min.) to the Chiangdao valley, and our trek starting point. We begin an easy hike through plantations and forest, following trails leading to a small Karen hill-tribe village. After observing the village, and Karen women weaving bamboo baskets, we continue the walk on a wider track leading to the Padeng Lodge for overnight. Dinner at the Lodge.
[Meals: Lunch, Dinner]
1/ bamboo rafting might be cancelled without prior notice when the water level is to high, during raining season.
2/ the elephant camp is a tourist attraction and private business.
3/ Trek is short and fairly easy, suitable for novices as we walk 1 1/2 to 2 hours on each day.
- DAY 2: TREK AND BUDDHIST CAVE EXPLORATION
- After a filling breakfast, a short drive will bring us to another village, inhabited by Lisu and Akkha people. From there we will follow a trekking trail leading to a Palong hill tribe village.
Eventually stop by the local school, and walk back to the Lodge. This hike takes about two hours, but we can propose a longer trek option, depending on the season and participants abilities.
Lunch at the Lodge.
After lunch, we drive to the Chiangdao Caves for a deep exploration. The caves are part of a Buddhist Sanctuary and various chambers can be discovered, with the help of local guides equipped with gas lamps. Various chambers are scattered with interesting stalagmits and stalactits of different shapes, sometimes remind us animals or objects. Around the caves, local shops are displaying and selling various medicinal plants and herbs.
Drive back to Chiang Mai and drop off at your hotel in town or at Chiang Mai airport. (Arrival time approximately 17:00)
[Meals: Breakfast, Lunch]
- End of the trip -
The Chiangdao valley in North Thailand
Rates per person in Thai Baht. Valid from NOW till end of October 2015
|tour CT70||Rate / person||Departure|
|Join Tour, minimum 2 participants||6,200||Every day|
|Private Tour||2 – 3 persons||7,400||Every day|
|4 – 6 persons||5,650|
|Family friendly: discount for children under 14 years old, traveling with two adults||20% discount|
- All transfers by covered pick up truck.
- ActiveThailand’s experienced English speaking tour guide.
- All visits/excursions as mentioned in tour itinerary.
- One night accommodation at Padeng Lodge, in twin share room.
- Meals as mentioned in program.
Personal expenses, beverages, tips and gratuities, optional excursion/visit.
This trip is suitable for families with young children and it can be tailor-made, when booked as private tour.