Product code: UMP-01
Join your expert trekking guides through the wonderful wilderness of Umphang; raft down the Mae Klong River, stay overnight in the jungle & traditional Karen villages, explore Thi Lo Su waterfall, ride an elephant through the jungle!
Duration: 4 days / 3 nights.
Departure: Daily departures from Mae Sot; participants need to stay the preceding evening in Mae Sot in order to join this tour.
Activities: Trekking, camping, rafting, elephant trekking through the jungle.
Fitness Level: This expedition is recommended for experienced hikers in good physical condition.
- Trek with professional, local guides through a unique and less-travelled area of Thailand
- Scenic journey through Umphang valley passing Karen and Hmong hill tribe villages
- Enjoy a swim in Thailand’s most impressive waterfall, Nam Tok Thi Lo Su and camp overnight in the forestry park
- Sleep in bamboo huts in a traditional Karen hilltribe village
- Ride for hours through the jungle on an elephants back
DAY ONE – Overland journey from Mae Sot to Umphang
08:00am meet your guide and transport from your accommodation in Mae Sot. We will then drive the winding mountain road to reach the Umphang valley; a scenic 165 km scenic journey passing Karen and Hmong villages. Arrive in Umphang valley for lunch before we embark on a sturdy bamboo raft for a float down scenic Mae Klong River. After a few hours passing by the river scenery, we stop at a river camp where we will spend the night sleeping in tents. Relax as your guide prepares a delicious evening meal.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Jungle trek and waterfalls
Begin the day rubber rafting along the Mae Klong river, passing by a natural hot spring and Ti Lojor spray waterfall, an amazing sprinkle of water falling from a 100 meter tall cliff onto the Mae Khlong river. Breathtaking scenery is discovered during this peaceful and unique river descent. Disembark the rafts and continue the adventure with a 3-hour trek (mostly uphill) to reach the Thi Lo Su waterfall forestry park where we will spend the night at the park’s campsite under tents.Your guides will make sure everything is set up for you and cook you another excellent Thai dinner; you can just sit back and enjoy your surroundings!
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY THREE – Thi Lo Su Waterfall and overnight in Karen village
Today is the day you will encounter Thailand’s largest and most impressive waterfall – Thi Lo Su! Spend the morning exploring this unique, multi-tiered waterfall with some idyllic swimming spots scattered within the falls. After experiencing one of Asia’s most impressive waterfalls, refuel with some lunch before continuing with a 3-hour hike through the forest to a traditional Karen village. Tonight you will sleep in a basic (yet comfortable) bamboo hut where you can get a taste of what life is like in a Karen village. (Sleeping bags, foam mats, and mosquito nets provided)
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY FOUR – Elephant trek and return to Mae Sot
Your final day of this expedition will be another one you will never forget with a 3 to 4 hour ride through the jungle…on an elephant’s back! A unique opportunity to experience what once used to be the only form of transport in the jungle. When we reach the Mokido river crossing, our private vehicle will be waiting for us to take a short transfer to Umphang for a coffee/snack break. Then we begin the long road back to Mae Sot where we can drop you at your accommodation.
(Meals: B, L)
- Private transportation to and from Mae Sot
- Experienced English speaking trekking guide
- Accommodation as per itinerary (equipment provided for camping)
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- National Park fees
- Elephant trekking and bamboo rafting
- Accommodation in Mae Sot before and after the tour
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses, meals not mentioned
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
During the raining season (June – September) we might need to replace the “bamboo rafting” by a descent on rubber rafts according to the river water level. In the case of extreme conditions (flooded river), we will amend the program to include primarily trekking. Such alterations of the original tour program are for participants’ safety and therefore no change in price or refund is available. Please ask us the latest info when you make an enquiry for a tour during the raining season. During the rainy season, you are likely to encounter leeches so please bring suitable clothing; your guide will have a solution to prevent the leeches to come into your shoes and pants.
Suggested packing list:
- 3 cotton T-shirts
- 1 pair short or long pants
- 3 pairs of socks
- sandals (for the evening)
- 1 quick dry towel
- toiletries and personal effects
- sunscreen (waterproof), a hat, protective sunglasses
- mosquito repellent
- light rain jacket or windbreaker
- a small flashlight is always useful
- Don’t forget your camera!
This list is not exhaustive and additional items should be taken into consideration depending to the season e.g. warm fleece in winter, plastic rain jacket in rainy season.