Product code: SA34
Three action-packed days of trekking, cycling and kayaking while returning to a comfortable hotel based in the charming Mae Ngat Valley. Sri Lanna National Park is approximately 65 kilometers from Chiang Mai City. This national park is made up of valleys, mountains, lakes, waterfalls and caves; an excellent place to get active in Northern Thailand! With three days to take advantage of the parks attractions, you can enjoy a variety of fun activities with us including cycling in the valleys, kayaking on Mae Ngat Dam lake, and hiking the jungle trails. This program is designed for active people in good physical condition who want to explore the area then return to the comfort of a nice hotel.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights.
Departure: From Chiang Mai city every Tuesday & Friday
Activities: Cycling through villages in the valley, Trekking through the jungle and tea plantations, Lake Kayaking in a beautiful National Park
Fitness Level: Suitable for participants in good fitness condition.
- Great cycling along small country roads and a few easy dirt trails
- Kayaking on beautiful Mae Ngat Dam within the Sri Lanna National Park
- Gourmet Thai lunch on peaceful floating raft-houses
- Trekking on mountain forest trails and through tea plantations
DAY ONE – Cycling the rustic countryside and overnight in the scenic Mae Ngat valley
Pick-up from your Chiang Mai accommodation around 9am and transfer to Mae Tang district where we will reach our activity base – a boutique resort nestled in the heart of the valley. The adventure begins with a ride through picturesque countryside where you can often see farmers going about their morning routine. Your guide will take short breaks at various points of interest and give you further insight into local life. Make a stop at the impressive Wat Ban Den temple where you can admire the intricate details of this place of worship. Return along country roads to our adventure base at the resort, for a delicious Thai lunch and some relaxation. After lunch we have a more challenging loop riding through rice paddies along single dirt trails, and into a jungle forest section. After a day exploring the Mae Ngat valley on two wheels, return to our boutique resort to enjoy the sun setting over the rice fields as you sip a refreshing drink and await a delicious Thai dinner.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Cycling and Kayaking in the National Park (Cycling 20 – 30km, kayaking minimum 5km).
Experience an exciting day of kayaking and cycling in the spectacular Sri Lanna National Park! Start the morning with a 20 to 25 km ride along various paved and dirt roads set against a backdrop of lush bamboo, fern groves, fruit orchards and rice paddies. You will often encounter rice farmers working their fields and the guide can explain to you the rice farming process in this fertile valley. Ride into the National Park HQ located on the bank of Mae Ngat Dam with a prime view of the massive lake. You’ll be using more upper body strength for the rest of the day as you paddle on sit-on-top kayaks to reach floating raft-houses; there you will have a mouth-watering Thai lunch to fulfill your hunger after an energetic morning. In the afternoon, swim and relax at the raft-houses and then paddle back to the shore. Cycle or vehicle transfer back to the Resort for overnight and dinner at resort.
(Meals: B, L, D)
– hire a motorized boat (rather than paddle) to return from the raft houses
DAY THREE – Hill top trekking (3 – 5 hours)
Today we start with a short vehicle transfer to the top of a mountain where we trek through not only jungle but also various plantations (e.g tea, coffee). This is a cool, high altitude climate so there are plants and trees different to those in the valley below. We will visit a plantation where a family will serve us freshly brewed tea/coffee grown locally in the area we just trekked through. From this point, there are two hiking trails to choose from depending of the season and participants abilities; (1) Longer 4 to 5 hour hike trekking mostly through dense jungle (2) Shorter 3 hour hike through jungle as well as more plantations and open view points. For both options we will carry a packed lunch to be eaten at a nice spot along the trail. At the completion of the trek, we meet our driver and vehicle in the valley. After a fun three days, it’s time to return to Chiang Mai city (1 hour) where we can drop you at your hotel or the airport.
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation by covered pick-up truck
- Experienced English speaking guide and licensed driver/mechanic
- Accommodation in twin share room with American breakfast.
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Activities as mentioned with all adequate equipment (bicycles, kayaks)
- National Park fees
- Water and snacks for energy during the activities
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Optional tour add-ons
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
- We provide 24-speed Trek® high-quality mountain-bikes, with cycling helmets and water bottles. Most of the route is relatively flat along rural country roads; during the dry season we ride on more off road trail sections. Please bring adequate cycling gear such as padded shorts, t-shirts, cycling shoes or runners, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a pair of cycling gloves. We will send a full packing list to you after tour registration.
- Participants should be fit enough to hike for 2 to 3 hours on a variety of trails (but no rocky paths, abrupt descents or cliffs). The distance is somewhat flexible and the final route can be slightly modified according to the season. The trekking is fairly strenuous as we hike up a mountain, and down a valley; you are rewarded with scenic views along an interesting trail complemented by our guides’ excellent knowledge of local fauna and flora.
- The kayaking section is suitable for novices and it is indeed the perfect place to learn paddling strokes. We use sit-on-top “Feelfree® or Ocean-Kayak®”, seating two people per boat. Theses kayaks are safe to use; they are sturdy, stable and unsinkable therefore very simple to handle. Life-jackets (PFD’s) and dry bags are supplied.
- You will be staying 2 nights in private rooms in a simple resort close to Sri Lanna National Park.
Fitness and Activity Level
- This tour is for experienced riders who are able to ride single trails with steep short hills and rutted descents; the cycling distance is between 35 to 50 km per day on rolling hills. Participants should be reasonably fit and in good physical condition. This trip is not suitable for beginners unless you book as a private trip, then we can tailor the activities to your level.
- This program is suitable as a private tour for families and ideal when you have family members with different preferences. Some participants can simply stay in the hotel to relax while others choose to participate in the activity. We are also operating this trip for large groups; please feel free to send us an email with your details and requirements.