Our rafting expeditions on the Pai River will take you through the main Wildlife Sanctuary of Mae Hong Son province. Being the only access to this area, the Pai River guarantees an unforgettable wilderness trip.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights
Departure: Daily departures from Chiang Mai town
Tour ends: Mae Hong Son or Pai town
Route: Chiang Mai – Pai – Mae Hong Son
Season: Tours operate from 15 June until end of 31 January annually (subject to water levels)
- Experience this wonderful area of Thailand riding the rapids of Pai River
- Explore the quaint town of Pai located on the foothills of the Himalayas
- Overnight at a quiet jungle camp sleeping on an elevated bamboo platform
- Learn from your professional rafting guide(s)
DAY ONE – Chiang Mai to Pai overland
Meet our team 9:00am at your Chiang Mai accommodation. Driving along mountain roads you will be passing through spectacular scenery and stopping at a mountain viewpoint. You will reach the Pai valley and be greeted by our team at the rafting base camp where you can enjoy some lunch. After checking into your room, the rest of the day is free for you to discover the valley independently or you can choose to take an optional tour. Have a good nights sleep so that you are prepared for the following two days of adventure on the river!
DAY TWO- Full day river rafting and overnight at a jungle camp
Fuel up with breakfast then meet our team 9:00am at your hotel. we will transfer you to our office in Pai where the rafting adventure begins. We take some time for a briefing where we give a basic introduction on safety and paddling techniques, followed by a 1 hour vehicle transfer to the river starting point. Upon boarding the rafts, the real fun begins and we begin to paddle down river, making a stop for lunch and a swim on the river banks. After lunch, we pass a few larger rapids and the river cuts through beautiful scenery as we paddle to our overnight accommodation at a jungle camp. Our guides will prepare delicious Thai food for dinner while you relax and soak up your peaceful surroundings. Tonight we will be sleeping on an elevated bamboo platform under mosquito nets, no doubt an unforgettable experience for those who enjoy the outdoors.
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY THREE – Rafting down to Mae Hong Son
After a substantial breakfast, we board the rafts for the second day of our expedition. Spending the morning paddling sets of rapids through stunning jungle scenery, we stop for a packed lunch on the river bank. Continuing further down the river we pull out to the river bank mid-afternoon (depending on water level) where the rafting trips come to an end. After two days of adventure on the magnificent Pai river, we transfer by vehicle to Mae Hong Son city/airport, or transfer back to Pai with our support vehicle (covered pick-up truck “songtaew”).
(Meals: B, L)
Note:Participants can end the trip at Mae Hong Son airport (airfare not included).
- All transfers by private vehicle. Van/car from Chiangmai to Pai, and “songtaew” from Pai to the river start point
- English speaking guide during the raft trip
- Twin share accommodation in Pai (day one)
- Dormitory style/jungle camp accommodation (day two)
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided throughout rafting expedition)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned
- Travel and personal insurance
- Air ticket from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai
- Other return transport to Chiang Mai
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
End of the trip options
We highly recommend to spend a night in Pai or Mae Hong Son after the rafting trip.
1) Continue to your travels independently
2) Drive back to Pai town in our songtaew vehicles (pick-up truck with two benches)
3) Be dropped off in a guesthouse in Mae Hong Son city
4) Fly back to Chiang Mai; flights now operated by Kan Airline (See below).
Flights from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai
If you prefer not to return to Chiang Mai overland, there is the option to fly from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai (price is not included). You will need sufficient advance notice to book this flight with Nok Air, Bangkok Airways or Kan Airlines. Active Thailand is not responsible for flight delays or eventual cancellation from this airline.
Kan Air www.kanairlines.com
Bangkok Airways www.bangkokair.com
Nok Air www.nokair.com