The perfect day trip for families involving elements of education, soft adventure and relaxation. Begin with a short visit to Chiang Mai’s Elephant Poo Poo Paper park followed by a morning cycling the rustic backroads of the Mae Sa valley. Enjoy a local lunch before taking a relaxing boat cruise down the Mae Ping River to the riverside temple, Wat Chai Mongkhon.
Duration: 8 Hours (approximately)
Departure: Daily from Chiang Mai city
Activities: Visit Elephant PooPooPaper Park, 20km countryside cycling, Mae Ping River Boat Cruise
Difficulty Level: Suitable for families with children (must be able to ride a bicycle)
- Visit the infamous Elephant Poo Poo Paper Park and learn about these much talked about paper products.
- Cycle quiet countryside roads through villages and ricefields
- Afternoon cruise down the Ping River
08:30 Pick-up from your Chiang Mai accommodation and transfer to Mae Rim district (approximately 45 minutes).
09:30 Get ready to start pedalling rural countryside roads with a bike fitting outside a local temple and short briefing from your professional cycling guide. Set off along the rural roads of Mae Sa valley, enjoying panoramic views of rice fields and encounters with local village life.
Along the way, take an hour break at Elephant PooPoo Paper Park where you can wander through the outdoor museum and learn about the fascinating process of converting elephant poo to paper. Participants will have the opportunity to roll up their sleeves and join together with local artisans to participate in the head-turning process!
12:30 Stop for lunch at a local restaurant serving classic Thai cuisine in a local setting.
13:30 Get back in the saddle for a short afternoon ride through more scenic locations. Today, we cycle approximately 20km in total with plenty of stops to enjoy your surroundings. Later, transfer to a farm style restaurant on the Ping River where we can enjoy some fresh fruits and a herbal drink.
15:30 Begin a leisurely boat cruise down the river gaining a different perspective of Chiang Mai and life on the riverside.
16:30 Finish the cruise at the sparkling temple, Wat Chai Mongkhon, where you can have a look around before return transfer to your accommodation.
PLEASE NOTE: This program is subject to slight changes, depending on seasonality and other factors.
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation by covered pick-up truck
- Experienced English speaking tour guide and licensed driver
- Drinking Water
- Quality TREK brand Mountain-Bikes with 24 gears and front suspension (models 3900 and 4300 in different frame size) and cycling helmets
- Support vehicle throughout the cycling
- Gourmet picnic lunch at local restaurant
- Elephant Poo Poo Park entrance fees
- Boat cruise on the Ping River
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses