Product code: NT102
Enjoy a rich cultural experience through this rewarding two day biking discovery of the Chiang Dao valley. Experience ethnic hill tribe villages, limestone caves, a small hot spring, sparkling temples and jungle trails!
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Departure: Daily departure all year long from Chiang Mai City
Activities: Mountain Biking, Cave exploration
Fitness Level: Easy cycling on off-road trails and rural roads. Previous cycling or mountain-biking experience is recommended to fully enjoy the tour; suitable for participants in good fitness condition.
- Variety of biking trails to interesting places
- Great views of Doi Chiang Dao mountain as you cycle through the valley and hills
- Family friendly activities with a full support vehicle
- Visit the Chiang Dao caves and Buddhist sanctuary
- Encounter various hill-tribe villages along the way
- Overnight at the Padeng Lodge, a wooden Thai house located in beautiful setting.
DAY ONE – Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao (25km)
Pickup (8:00 – 8:30am) from your accommodation in Chiang Mai before driving north by air-conditioned vehicle along highway 107 to the beautiful Chiang Dao area. We start our bike ride along typical North Thailand countryside, followed by some forest and valley trails, leading to small hill tribe villages. Visit Lahu, Lisu and Akkha villages, as well as the Palaung people, who originate from Myanmar with only a few settlements in Northern Thailand. Enjoy some lunch before riding the last few kilometers with some off-road trails to reach Padeng Lodge, our overnight accommodation. Arrive back to the Lodge for a shower, some relaxation and later a delicious Thai dinner. Spend the rest of the evening enjoying the sights and sounds of nature surrounding you.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Cycling Chiang Dao area and explore famous Buddhist caves (30 km)
After breakfast at the Lodge, we set off on an easy cycling day in the surrounding valley! Most cycling is on paved rural lanes. Our escort vehicle is following (except during raining season) to provide any assistance which may be required. Then cycle some paved roads, to reach a local restaurant for our lunch. Spend the afternoon cycling mostly on narrow rural lanes and along rolling hills through farms and fruit orchards with spectacular views of Doi Chiang Dao mountain.Take a break at the Chiang Dao caves for a short exploration and eventually end at a small hot spring. Meet with our vehicle and transfer back to Chiang Mai (1 hour) and drop off at your Chiang Mai hotel.
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation
- Experienced English speaking guide and licensed driver/mechanic
- Accommodation at Padeng Lodge settled in the scenic Chiang Dao valley (basic rooms with western toilet, hot water, fan, WIFI)
- Support vehicle throughout most of the route except single trails or muddy sections
- Quality TREK brand Mountain-Bikes with 24 gears and front suspension (models 3900 and 4300 in different frame size) and cycling helmets
- Water and snacks for energy during the activities
- Chiang Dao Caves entrance fee
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
What to bring
- Bring adequate cycling gear, such as padded shorts, t-shirts, cycling shoes or runners, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a pair of cycling gloves. We will send a full packing list after tour registration.
- Participants should be reasonably fit and able to cycle 30+ km per day on some undulating terrain. The usual route is relatively easy for people with cycling experience but we offer more difficult options towards the end of the day; the route is flexible according to the weather and clients abilities.