Product code: NT104
Get to know Northern Thailand “off the beaten track” with this 3 day adventure! Ride through varied landscape, along the scenic Maekok river and challenging off-road trails.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights.
Route: Chiang Mai – Chiang Dao – Ban Thaton – Chiang Rai
Activities: Mountain biking; off-road trails and small country roads; cave exploration.
Fitness Level: Involves off-road trails as well as easy cycling over the three days; cycling experience and a good level of fitness is recommended.
- Professional local cycling guide with in-depth knowledge of Northern Thailand
- Exhilarating off-road rides in the forest and valley
- Experience this wonderful area off-the-beaten track with overnight stops in places of interest
- Visit hill-tribe villages and Buddhist sanctuaries
DAY ONE – Monday – Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao (30 – 45km cycling)
Around 08:15 pick-up from your Chiang Mai accommodation and transfer by songtaew (covered pick-up truck) to reach our activity base – Padeng Lodge in the the Chiang Dao valley region (approximately 1.5 hours). The adventure for today begins with a ride on mostly paved road through picturesque countryside leading to a Karen village where we take a break before riding off-road to reach another village. Devour a delicious Thai lunch back at Padeng Lodge and re-energise for some more off-roading in the afternoon. Ride a fun, single trail through the forest followed by flat, paved country roads leading to the Chiang Dao caves – an impressive Buddhist sanctuary which can be explored if time allows. We finish our day at the Palong village then return to Padeng Lodge nearby to spend the night (homecooked Thai dinner provided).
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Tuesday – Chiang Dao to Ban Thaton (30 – 60 km cycling)
This morning we ride mostly off road through great trails and scenic landscape! The route is not too difficult and the escort vehicle is always near by. Morning distance is nearly 30 km (20 miles). Lunch stop and visit Buddhist forest temple and caves. Afternoon cycling around 25 km (15 miles), paved road, then car transfer to Ban Thaton for overnight at a tourist class hotel. Thaton is a small village located by the Burmese border on the bank of the Maekok river.
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY THREE – Wednesday – Ban Thaton to Chiang Rai (45 – 60 km cycling)
After breakfast, we cycle through the Maekok river valley, passing stunning rice fields and plantations. We then follow an exciting trail winding it’s way along the river. Next we ride a local long-tail boat downriver, to reach a forest park and take our bike again, to continue cycling to a Karen village by the river. After a break, we continue cycling to Chiang Rai city until about 4pm when we can drop you off at your Chiang Rai city accommodation (accommodation not included), or alternatively you can choose to return to Chiang Mai in our vehicle.
(Meals: B, L)
- Private transportation to and from Chiang Mai
- Experienced English speaking cycling guide and licensed driver/mechanic with support vehicle
- 2 night accommodation in twin share rooms (Chiang Dao, Ban Thaton)
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Quality TREK brand mountain bikes (models 3900 and 4300 in different frame size); includes 24 gears, front suspension and cycling helmets
- Drinking water and snacks throughout the day
- Meals not mentioned
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses and travel insurance
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
- We welcome accompanying non-cycling participants to travel in the support vehicle.
- Participants understand this type of adventure travel incurs some risks. We require participants to sign a full liability release before trip departure.
- Please let us know in advance of your travel plans and if you need any assistance; we can help to organise the continuation of your trip such as transfer to the Laos border.
Padeng Lodge: Basic wooden Thai house with separate rooms. Comfortable bedding, room with fans. Western toilets and hot shower outside the rooms. Great location surrounded by mountain and scenic views of Doi Luang Chiang Dao.
Ban Thaton: Tourist class accommodation located in the small town or near the Maekok river (accommodation in private rooms with en suite bathrooms, hot shower + air-conditioner).