Product code: NT104
Get to know Northern Thailand “off the beaten track” with this 3 day adventure! Ride through varied landscape, along the scenic Maekok river and challenging off-road trails.
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights.
Departure: Every Monday from Chiang Mai city (private tours upon request)
Route: Chiang Mai – Chiang Dao – Ban Thaton – Chiang Rai
Activities: Mountain biking; off-road trails and small country roads; cave exploration.
Fitness Level: Involves off-road trails as well as easy cycling over the four days; cycling experience and a good level of fitness is recommended.
- Professional local cycling guide with in-depth knowledge of Northern Thailand
- Exhilarating off-road rides in the forest and valley
- Experience this wonderful area off-the-beaten track with overnight stops in places of interest
- Visit hill-tribe villages and Buddhist sanctuaries
DAY ONE – Monday – Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao (30 – 45km cycling)
Around 08:15 pick-up from your Chiang Mai accommodation and transfer to the Chiang Dao valley region (vehicle transfer approximately 1.5hours) by covered pick-up truck to reach our activity base – Padeng Lodge. Upon arrival, enjoy locally brewed tea or coffee while the friendly guide fits the bikes. The adventure for the day begins with a ride on mostly paved road through picturesque countryside leading to a Karen village where we take a break before riding an off-road section reaching another village before heading back to the lodge for a delicious Thai lunch. After lunch we enjoy some more off-roading along a single trail through the forest followed by flat, paved country roads leading to the Chiang Dao caves and Buddhist sanctuary which can be explored when time permits. We finish our day at the Palong village and near by Padeng Lodge, to spend the night. Enjoy a succulent Thai dinner served at the lodge.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Tuesday – Chiang Dao to Ban Thaton (30 – 60 km cycling)
This morning we ride mostly off road through great trails and scenic landscape! The route is not too difficult and the escort vehicle is always near by. Morning distance is nearly 30 km (20 miles). Lunch stop and visit Buddhist forest temple and caves. Afternoon cycling around 25 km (15 miles), paved road, then car transfer to Ban Thaton for overnight. Thaton is a small village located by the Burmese border on the bank of the Maekok river. Night and dinner at a tourist class hotel.
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY THREE – Wednesday – Ban Thaton to Chiang Rai (45 – 60 km cycling)
Early morning, after breakfast, we cycle through the Maekok river valley, passing stunning rice fields and plantations. We then follow an exciting trail winding it’s way along the river. Next we ride a local long-tail boat downriver, to reach a forest park and take our bike again, to continue cycling to a Karen village by the river. After a break, we continue cycling to Chiang Rai city, or proceed by car to your Chiang Rai accommodation or the airport.
(Meals: B, L)
- Private transportation to and from Chiang Mai
- Experienced English speaking cycling guide and licensed driver/mechanic with support vehicle
- Accommodation in twin share rooms
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Quality TREK brand mountain bikes (models 3900 and 4300 in different frame size); includes 24 gears, front suspension and cycling helmets
- Drinking water and snacks throughout the day
- Meals not mentioned
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Accommodation in Chiang Rai
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses and travel insurance
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
- We welcome accompanying non-cycling participants to travel in the support vehicle.
- Participants understand this type of adventure travel incurs some risks. We require participants to sign a full liability release before trip departure.
Padeng Lodge: Basic wooden Thai house with separate rooms. Comfortable bedding, room with fans. Western toilets and hot shower outside the rooms. Great location surrounded by mountain and scenic views of Doi Luang Chiang Dao.
Ban Thaton: Tourist class accommodation located in the small town or near the Maekok river (accommodation in private rooms with en suite bathrooms, hot shower + air-conditioner).
Chiang Rai: La Luna Hotel, tourist class hotel with individual bungalows located in landscaped garden. Swimming pool, internet and WI-FI. Traditional Thai massage service. Our staff can bring you to the night market area in the evening.