Product code: NT-01
Come along for an adventurous guided cycling trip in the scenic Chiang Dao valley. Ride single trails leading to various hill-tribe villages and cycle rural roads through Thai traditional countryside including to the Chiang Dao caves.
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Departure: Daily departure all year long (except raining season) from Chiang Mai City
Activities: Mountain Biking on off-road single trails and rural paved roads
Fitness Level: Suitable for experienced riders in good fitness condition.
- Ride single trails, jeep tracks and country roads
- Encounter various Karen, Akha, Lahu, Lisu and Palong hill-tribe villages along the way
- Great views of Doi Chiang Dao mountain as you cycle through valley and hills
- Visit the Chiang Dao caves and Buddhist sanctuary
DAY ONE – Ride the Chiang Dao valley to Chiang Dao caves (25 – 50km)
Pickup (8:00 – 8:30am) from your accommodation in Chiang Mai before driving north along highway 107 to the beautiful Chiang Dao area. After an approximate 1.5 hour transfer we arrive at Padeng Lodge located in the Chiang Dao Valley. This eco-lodge will be our base and starting point for the tour. Enjoy some local tea or coffee while we fit the bikes for you then today’s cycling begins along a paved village road with the Chiang Dao valley as our backdrop. Riding over a small hill we reach a Karen hill-tribe village where we take a break before riding back to the lodge through a scenic dirt trail (approximately 12 km loop). Enjoy a freshly cooked lunch at Padeng Lodge and refuel for an afternoon of cycling!
In the afternoon, we will cycle to the magnificent Chiang Dao caves starting on single trails in the forest (8 km+) with a great downhill section. We arrive at a village before continuing along rarely used rural roads through scenic countryside. Along the way we will stop at a local market and Temple before we finally reach our destination- Chiang Dao caves. We can take a short break here to explore the caves and Buddhist Sanctuary (as per timing).
Energetic riders can choose to return to the the lodge via a different 25 km route while other riders can return by vehicle. Arrive back to the Lodge for a shower and a delicious dinner then spend a relaxing evening with the sights and sounds of nature surrounding you.
(Meals: L, D)
DAY TWO – Cycle the hills of Chiang Dao and return to Chiang Mai (40 km)
After a filling continental breakfast at the Lodge, we set off around 08:30am cycling a variety of single trails and jeep tracks leading to various villages. Fun trails (with some steep uphill sections) through bamboo forest and jungle with partial views of the imposing Doi Chiang Dao in the background. Eventually reach a small stream where we can relax and refresh before continuing to a local Temple where we will eat our packed lunch. In the afternoon, we follow a paved road back to Padeng Lodge where there is the opportunity to shower and relax before a vehicle transfer back to Chiang Mai (arrival time approximately 1730)
(Meals: B, L)
- Pick-up , drop-off and transportation
- Experienced English speaking guide and licensed driver/mechanic
- Accommodation at Padeng Lodge settled in the scenic Chiang Dao valley (basic rooms with western toilet, hot water and fan)
- Support vehicle throughout most of the route except single trails or muddy sections
- Quality TREK brand Mountain-Bikes with 24 gears and front suspension (models 3900 and 4300 in different frame size) and cycling helmets
- Water and snacks for energy during the activities
- Chiang Dao Caves entrance fee
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary [B=Breakfast, L=Lunch,D=Dinner]
- Beverages (apart from water which is provided)
- Tips or gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Participants should bring their own personal cycling attire
Note: this program is a sample itinerary only and can vary slightly depending of the season and other circumstances. We reserve the right to change the program according to local situation.
What to bring
- Bring adequate cycling gear, such as padded shorts, t-shirts, cycling shoes or runners, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a pair of cycling gloves. We will send a full packing list after tour registration.
- Participants should be reasonably fit and be in good physical condition and able to cycle 35 to 60 km per day on rolling hills. This tour is for experienced riders who are able to ride single trails with steep short hills and rutted descents; not suitable for beginners.For beginners, please check the other cycling tours we offer.