Chiangdao X-country biking
Duration: 2 days/1 night
Departure: Daily departure all year long (except raining season)*
Starting/ending: Departure from and return to Chiang Mai city
Activity: Mountain-Biking, rural paved roads and single trails
Join us for this great guided adventure in the beautiful Chiangdao valley and surroundings! Ride single trails leading to various hill-tribe villages and their culture. Cycle rural roads in pristine Thai traditional countryside. Stop at Buddhist Temples and Chiangdao caves, and spend the night in a simple Lodge in the valley.
- Ride single trails, jeep tracks and country roads
- Visit various hill-tribe villages, Karen, Akkha, Lahu, Lisu and Palong along the way
- Great views of Doi Chiangdao mountain as you ride through valley and hills
- Visit the Chiangdao caves and Buddhist sanctuary
DAY 1 – Ride the CHIANGDAO VALLEY to Chiangdao caves
08h00-08h30 Meeting at your Chiang Mai hotel with your guide. We set off on the highway 107 direction North, to reach the Chiangdao valley. The distance is 85 km and transfer time is approximately 1 1/2 hour.
09h45-10h00 Arrive at the Padeng Lodge, our activity base for the day.
Upon arrival tea or coffee is served while we fit the bikes with assistance of our staff. Start cycling on a paved road, with a small hill, for warm up. Eventually reach an Akha village for a break, and continue on a scenic dirt trail back to Lodge for lunch. (Approx. 12 km loop).
In the afternoon, we will ride to the Chiangdao caves. Starting on great single trails in the forest (8 km+) leading us to a village. Continue on little used rural roads through scenic countryside, stopping at a local market and a Temple. We finally reach our destination, the Chiangdao Caves, which we can explore and take a short break.
For the return journey, good riders will take a different route back to the Lodge. Option to transfer by vehicle back to the Padeng Lodge for others. Total distance can vary from 25 km to 50km.
Arrive back to the Lodge for relax time and cleaning. Overnight and dinner.
Note: support vehicle is following on most of the route, except on single trails.
DAY 2 – Cycling the hills of Chiangdao, and back to Chiang Mai
After breakfast at the Lodge, we ride various will cycle single trails and jeep tracks leading to some villages.
Eventually reach a small stream where we can relax and refresh. Pack lunch at a local Temple.
Afternoon, we return to the Lodge via another route. Relax, shower and change before a vehicle transfer back to Chiang Mai. Drop off at your hotel in Chiang Mai around 17h30 – 18h00.
- End of the tour -
*note: itinerary might vary during raining season, as some of the trails on the second day are too muddy. We propose some alternative routes riding on paved country roads.
Rates per person in Thai Baht. Valid from Now until end of October 2015
|Code NT-01||Rate / person||Departure|
|Private Tour||2 – 3 persons||7,600||Every day in season|
|4 – 6 persons||5,600|
|Special Group||Season special 30 % discount when booking a private group of 8 persons +up||-|
- Tour program and excursion as per itinerary.
- Transportation by private vehicle from Chiangmai to Chiangdao and return (covered pick-up truck “songtaew”).
- Partial vehicle support when cycling (no support in single trails or wet trails, if any)
- Experienced English speaking cycling tour guide
- Use of sturdy mountain-bike late model TREK 4300, with 24 gears.
- Meals (Thai food): 2 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, drinking water, tea and coffee.
- Overnight at Padeng Lodge in twin share room. Room with fan and hot shower.
- Chiangao Caves entrance fees.
- Beverages, tips or gratuities, and optional tours/visits
- Personal expenses, meals other than those mentioned
This tour is for experienced riders, as we are riding single trails with steep short hills and descents.
Participants must have a good physical condition!
This trip is not suitable for families and novice riders. See our Chiangdao family biking as an alternative.
Make your reservation below! our online reservations officers will reply within 24h.